The nominee for the US general attorney has said that waterboarding is torture.
I am encouraged by this and Barack Obama's pledge to close Guantanamo. I'm not sure if the AG has the same role in the US as over here ( I'm thinking of Lord Goldsmith and his opinion which helped legitimise the Iraq war) but every little helps!
How Can the Genocidal State of Israel Be Brought to an End?
38 minutes ago
6 comments:
Good GRIEF - they've finally noticed, though whether Obama will hold to his promise to close Guantanamo remains to be seen - he has already said that such closure will not happen in his first HUNDRED days of office.
Having said that, there is yet hope - and if there IS hope, Does this mean that the rationale underpinning the Thesis Monster is about to be completely undone?!?! ( *covers ears of Thesis Monster*)
It's a toughie isn't it - on the one hand you want the end of human rights abuses.
On the other, when it affects an argument you've been trying to make... (!)
I missed the 100 days thing. I wonder why?
Hi Mel,
I think its not likely to happen in the first hundred days because of a need for in depth security consultation, as well as to determine what should happen to the detainees from a legal point of view.
I do hope he'll close the wretched place as promised, particularly since a judge involved in the "trials" ( and I use that term loosely) of Gitmo detainees admitted that some of the evidence set out against them was actually obtained by Torture. Wow. Like We're Tooootally surprised about THAT one -NOT.
Anyway, heres a link, if you're interested:
http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/Economy/story?id=6619291
Agreed - and thanks for the link.
And a link for you:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jan/16/barack-obama-amnesty-international-ad
Cheers Mel - Useful!
Post a Comment